Dry skin is commonly seen condition in dogs, just like in people and can be very unpleasant both for you and your pooch. This condition is caused by various factors and causes your dog to itches, licks and sometimes bites himself to the point of injury.
It is frustrating to watch your dog’s never-ending scratching, but there isn’t nothing else he can do except scratch himself. In order to help your pooch and relieve him of all these symptoms you need to figure out what exactly is causing his dry skin.
Regardless of what is the reason of your dog’s dry skin, his symptoms can significantly be improved with the use of the best dog shampoo for dry skin. This product will soothe and nourish your pooch’s skin and coat with natural ingredients.
|Name||Image||Best for||Main feature||Natural||Type||Price|
|Paws & Pals Natural Dog Shampoo||Dry and flaky skin||Soothing for the skin and coat, gentle on the eyes||Yes||Shampoo and conditioner|
|Virbac Epi-Soothe||Skin allergies||Soothe and cleanse dry skin||Yes||Shampoo|
|Moosh Natural Dog Shampoo||For sensitive skin||Anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-septic||Yes||Shampoo|
|Nootie Dermatology Solutions||For dry skin||Anti-itch, deodorizes||Yes||Shampoo|
|Pupkiss Complete Care||Dry and itchy skin||Cleans, moisturizes, detangles, deodorizes, conditions||Yes||Shampoo|
How to find the best dog shampoo for dry skin?
It is not advisable to bathe a dog with a dry skin with a regular, human or chemical based shampoos. They can cause even more harm and make the itching symptoms even worse and to further damage your dog’s skin.
What causes dry skin in dogs?
Usually, owners don’t realize that their dog is experiencing dry skin until he starts to scratches uncontrollably. Dry skin is very uncomfortable for both owners and dogs and it can be caused by various thing, some of them include:
- Allergies: Your dog may have allergies to food, pollens, dust, dander, or fleas that can cause him to have a dry skin. If allergies are left untreated they can cause atopic dermatitis which causes dry and itchy skin, redness and inflammation.
- Parasites: Mange, lice, mite, and scabies are all parasites that can cause dry skin. If your dog is experiencing dry skin it is best to take him to the vet since he can for sure tell if one of these parasites are causing your dog’s problems.
- Infection: Bacterial and fungal infections can also cause dry and itchy skin. Fungal infections like ringworm can also be transmitted to people so it is important to take your dog to the vet if you notice dry skin.
- Systemic disorders: In some cases, dry skin is just a symptom of much bigger problem. Cushing’s disease and hypothyroidism are recognized by brittle hair and hair loss, skin infections and dry skin.
- Nutritional deficiency: In some cases, dry skin is associated with poor nutrition. If your dog isn’t digesting proper nutrients, enough fat and omega fatty acids, that will have an impact on the state of his skin and coat.
- Over or under bathing: If you wash your dog really often, you will not allow his coat to produce enough oils for protection. And if you don’t wash your pooch enough his skin can be prone to allergies that cause dry and itchy skin.
How to prevent the occurrence of dry skin?
It is always better to try to prevent the development of condition than later spend more time and energy to improve the health state of your dog. The same can apply to dry skin, and you can easily prevent it with small lifestyle changes.
- High-quality diet: In the long run it is better to spend a little extra money on your pooch’s food and make sure that he receives all the proper nutrients.
- Parasitic treatments: Flea and ticks are blood-sucking parasites that can transmit diseases like Lyme and Babesiosis that can lead to death. There are a variety of products that provide excellent protection against these parasites.
- Regular brushing: We know that many dogs try to escape when they realize that it is grooming time. But regular brushing will prevent the accumulation of allergens on your dog’s skin and keep it healthy.
- Regular veterinary checkups: In order to keep your dog healthy for a long time you shouldn’t miss vet appointments. This is the easiest way to prevent the occurrence of any condition including dry and itchy skin.
- Research your breed: It is always better to learn as much as you can about specific conditions your dog is prone to and do the best you can to prevent them.
What is the right shampoo for dry skin?
Not all dogs are the same and a shampoo that works for one dog, may not be that successful for your pooch. But still, there are ingredients that are good for dry skin and should be present in your desired shampoo.
- Vitamins A and E: They promote skin and coat health and will help repair your dog’s dry skin and relieve itching.
- Humectants: Look for shampoos that have aloe vera since it is a great provider of moisture that is necessary for the recovery of dry skin.
- Silk, wheat, or oat proteins: Usually, natural shampoos contain these and they provide protection and strengthen skin and coat.
Until your dog’s underlying issue is resolved you can relieve itching and repair his dry skin with the use of specially formulated dog shampoo for itchy and dry skin and we are here to help you find the right fit. Make sure that prior to any purchases you consult with your vet and find the reason for your dog’s skin condition.
Top 5 best shampoos for dry skin
Paws & Pals is a pet brand that makes different products for cat and dogs in order to provide them a joyous and healthy life. We chose their Natural Oatmeal shampoo and conditioner because it sports healthy ingredients for a great looking skin and coat.
This shampoo is made of ultra-purified water infused with aloe barbadensis extract that will moisturize your dog’s skin and return its healthy look. Rosemary leaf extract and chamomile flower extract will help soothe the skin and relieve it of any inflammations and put a stop on itching.
Oatmeal, vitamin E, organic borage, seed oil, and organic shea butter will promote a healthier looking skin and offer it extra protection. All of them will also help with the dull and brittle coat, making it strong and shiny again.
Oatmeal natural shampoo is tear free and don’t contains soaps and will make bath time a fun and enjoyable experience for both you and your dog. Natural oils that are present in this product will not overwhelm your dog’s sensitive nose and will make his skin healthy and protected.
Made without paraben and non-toxic chemical this formula soothe inflamed skin, gives moisture to dry and flaky skin and makes damaged coats strong, healthy looking and shiny.
This shampoo will not only leave your dog perfectly clean and smelling divine it will also condition his coat for more easier brushing of detangled and deodorized fur.
With this shampoo, you get several products combined for the price of one. This is a really affordable natural choice that will transform your pooch’s dry and itchy skin into the great looking healthy skin and shiny coat.
This brand creates veterinarian types of shampoos that are suitable for a variety of conditions and thus this brand comes highly recommended from vets when it comes to healthy skin. This formula is suitable for dogs and cats of all life stages and provides great results in dogs with skin allergies.
Epi-Soothe Shampoo contains spherulites that will provide a slower release of all ingredients making this formula longer lasting. Anti-adhesive glycotehnology will limit the bonding of allergens on your dog’s skin which makes this formula a great dog shampoo for skin allergies.
This shampoo will also soothe the skin that is irritated by scratching and provide enough moisture to prevent flaking and dry skin. It has a cooling effect which is especially beneficial for dogs who suffer from an environment, or food allergies because it relieves the inflamed skin.
This shampoo will completely clean your dog’s skin from dirt and allergens while leaving it smelling great and fresh. Our recommendation is that you leave this shampoo to work on your dog’s skin for at least 5 minutes because it gives even better results when left a little bit longer.
This shampoo for sensitive skin is made of naturally healing bentonite clay and is 100% natural and organic. The clay will bind with any bacteria, fungus, toxins and heavy metals and will pull them away from your dog’s skin leaving it healthy and clean.
In this formula, you will find aloe vera juice, saponified oils of coconut, olive, and sunflower that will provide moisture and protect the skin and make it strong. Vegetable glycerin, bentonite clay, neem oil, argon oil, and lime essential oil are great for skin allergies and dermatitis and will provide moisture to reduce flaking and dandruff.
Shea butter is also incorporated because it will soothe, and moisturize sensitive skin and also makes the coat shiny looking, soft and silky to the touch. Nutmeg and vetiver essential oils will make your dog smelling great without the use of artificial fragrances.
With this shampoo, you will give your dog’s sensitive skin proper natural care and reduce itching symptoms. Also, this formula will nourish, moisturize, and protect your dog from allergens and fungal infections.
This shampoo is made without sulfates, preservatives, harsh chemicals, and is biodegradable. With concentrated formula, you will get more for your money and your dog will get a completely natural shampoo that will soothe and nourish his sensitive skin.
This brand is dedicated to creating great smelling shampoos that are soothing to your dog’s skin. Most of the dog shampoos available are great at their job but they smell bad, with this product that isn’t the case.
In this bottle, you will fin purified water, oatmeal and aloe vera that will rejuvenate, soothe and moisturize your dog’s dry skin. The great thing about this product is that it can be also used on puppies that have skin problems.
Coconut oil, colloidal oatmeal, and ordenone will provide your dog with a gentle smell that won’t overwhelm either you or him. And his skin will be stronger and healthier thanks to all natural ingredients.
Aloe vera, oatmeal, essential fatty acids, jojoba oil, and rosemary has soothing effects that will put a stop to constant itching and will nourish your dog’s skin. With the use of this product, you not only get a clean and nice smelling dog, you get a better-looking coat, moisturized skin that will no longer be flaky and dry.
Made without soap, paraben, and any harsh chemicals this formula is safe to use along with topical flea and tick products and will leave a long-lasting clean scent on your dog.
This shampoo also conditions your dog’s coat so it is a great choice for longhaired dogs that have dry and flaky skin. This product is made in the U.S and they will give you your money back if you don’t see the results.
This is a natural shampoo made from high-quality ingredients and used by professional groomers since it has many benefits. This product is also great in relieving symptoms of itchy, dry and irritated skin.
In this shampoo, you will find water, plant-based surfactants derived from coconut and palm, oatmeal and aloe extracts. These will have a calm and soothing effect on your pooch’s skin and will relieve him of scratching.
This formula is great for keeping your dog clean, but will also give moisture and keep the skin hydrated and coat soft and shiny. This is very important for dogs with dry skin that itches since their coat usually gets brittle and dull looking because of scratching and lack of oils.
With all in one shampoo, you will get your dog cleaned, deodorized, moisturized, detangled and conditioned which will save you some money. And this is above all formula that will nourish your dog’s skin no matter if he has allergies or his dry skin was caused by something else.
This shampoo is made without paraben, sulfates, phosphates and can be also used on puppies. If you’re not satisfied with the quality of this product you can get your money back, no questions asked.
Dry skin can be caused by many reasons, and some of them require the attention of your veterinarian, so we advise you to first check your dog’s health and then start shopping for the best dog shampoo for dry skin. When you are certain that your dog’s skin problem doesn’t require medicated shampoos then you can check some of our choices to help rejuvenate your pooch’s skin.
Healthy skin and shiny soft coat are signs that your dog is healthy and happy. If you notice that your dog coat is brittle and dull looking and his skin dry, flaky and itchy than it is time for some lifestyle changes.